How to Develop Self-Mastery in Your Business
You've probably heard the saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none."
This generally has been looked upon as a negative thing. It implies that you can only be a master at one thing or mediocre at many. If you decide to do more than one thing, you give up mastery of any of them.
But, to me, it's a bit more involved than that.
The honest truth is, you can master several things. The key is to tap into your strengths in order to gain mastery on the right things, rather than many things. It's the ever famous dispute on quality over quantity.
Here are some tips to develop self-mastery in your business and reach your true potential:
Uncover Your "WHY" and vision
You will never, ever reach your true potential and master something if you don't know the "why" behind what you're doing.
Your why is the big motivation behind reaching your dreams. Without having a vision of what you want and why you want it, it will be very hard to achieve self-mastery and reach your dreams.
Some questions to ask yourself to uncover your big "why" and vision for your business and life:
- Why am I doing what I'm doing?
- Why is what I'm doing important to me? To others?
- Would I be upset or sad if I couldn't do what I'm doing any longer?
- Why does what I'm doing matter?
- What would I like to see different about my current situation?
- What is the BEST thing I could imagine that could result from changing?
- Suppose I don’t change, what is the WORST thing that might happen?
- If I make changes, how would my business and life be different from what it is today?
- If I were to decide to change, what would I have to do to make this happen?
develop your strategy - including self-discovery, self-belief, & self-discipline
After you know your big "why" and your vision for your business, it's time to develop a strategy to help you reach your vision and true potential.
There are four areas to focus on in your strategy:
- Increase our knowledge and skills
- Invest in our natural talents so they turn into strengths
- Improve our attitude and mindset
- Develop daily success habits
It's important to take inventory of your current knowledge, skills, talents. From there, you can work on gaining additional knowledge and skills necessary as well as spending time, energy, and resources developing your talents into strengths.
Your talents are the source of your true potential and are what sets you apart from everyone else doing what you do.
Your talents are what you're naturally good at. Take inventory of what your strengths and weaknesses are so you know where you're at compared to where you want to be. Then, figure out what you need to do in order to invest in your talents and manage or neutralize any weaknesses.
By strengthening your strengths, you will increase your confidence and self-efficacy (belief in your ability to make something happen). With this increased confidence and self-efficacy, you will be more motivated to excel and be more invested and engaged in your business. This ultimately drives success.
From there, you can map out the steps you need to take to get where you want to be.
A key to make sure you stay laser focused on executing your strategy will be a positive attitude and daily mindset and success habits.
Mindset is, arguably, the most important component of your business. If you think you can do something and have confidence in yourself, you will have a higher likelihood of achieving your goals.
But, no matter how good your mindset is, be sure to set realistic, attainable goals.
Now that you have your big "why", vision, and your overall strategy and goals in place, it's time to implement some daily success habits to keep you focused and on track.
12 daily SUCCESS HABITS TO DEVELOP SELF-MASTERY:
- Incorporate daily mindset work into your business
- Spend more than 80% of your day working in your strengths (and limit your weaknesses)
- Spend time every day developing your talents
- Learn strategically: Absorb what is useful to your business and what is not
- Eliminate unnecessary business activities that don't align with your vision and goals
- Embrace change, which can bring even more opportunities your way
- Meditate, pray, or do self-hypnosis to calm and clear the mind
- Get enough sleep so your mind is on point and focused
- Exercise and eat well to fuel your body and mind
- Celebrate even small victories and successes to build confidence
- Push yourself to do things out of your comfort zone (but not things that are a waste of time or are a true weakness)
- Consistently strive to improve, both for yourself and your clients
Who would you rather have in control of your life - you or your business?
Do you have any other tips or habits on how you achieve self-mastery? Comment below to share!