what is personal power and what is it not?
Personal power is not what you think it is. It's not about the desire to control others, rather it's about it as the effortless feeling of being in control of yourself.
Personal power is based on strength, confidence, and competence that you acquire over time as you work on your personal development. This type of power represents a movement toward self-realization (the fulfillment of oneself of the possibilities of one's character). It's primary aim is mastery of self, not others. It's both an attitude and state of mind.
When you feel powerful, you're more likely to approach challenges and goals because you feel optimistic, positive, proactive, and more attuned to opportunities. On the flip side, when you feel powerless, you're more likely to avoid challenges and goals because you feel more anxious, pessimistic, self-focused, and more attuned to threats.
Personal power is not covert negative power that is based on passive-aggressive behaviors. Covert negative power is based in weakness, incompetence, and self-destructive tendencies that manipulate others, arousing fear, guilt, and anger.
Personal power is also not overt negative power. Overt negative power is characterized by aggressive tendencies and is exercised through the use of domination, coercion, or force to control others.
reclaim your personal power - a strengths-based approach
Here are eight ways to reclaim your personal power:
- Discover your unique talents - You will have greater self-awareness of what you do naturally really well, which will help you manage areas of weakness and instead focus on your talents.
- Invest in your talents - When you invest in your talents - time, practice, and gain supporting skills and knowledge around them - you can turn your talents into a strength.
- Work in your strengths zone - Working in your strengths zone will increase your confidence and belief in yourself. This increased confidence will allow you show up in your business confident in your unique offerings and allow you to attract your dream clients.
- Follow your intuition and release fear - No one else, no matter how wise or experienced they may be, has authority over your intuition. Also, notice when something within you raise a red flag or just doesn't feel right. Ask yourself why you may be feeling that way. Working in our strengths doesn't mean doing everything that feels comfortable. Sometimes, even when working in our strengths, you need to step out of your comfort zone in order to reach your goals.
- Love yourself - Love yourself and every unique talent that you have to offer the world. Learning to love, accept, value, and appreciate ourselves is one of the most empowering things we can do for ourselves and our business.
- Accept the unknown and new things - Let go of self-blame and criticism and be willing and open to new experiences, even if it's not the path you imagined for yourself. These experiences will give you a chance to use your talents in new, unexpected ways.
- Express self-gratitude - Be grateful for yourself, your unique talents, and your experiences and remind yourself daily of your blessings in both life and your business.
- Let go of doubt - As you invest in your talents, your belief in yourself increases as well, which will ultimately increase our personal power too.
How will you reclaim your personal power today? Comment below and share!