Weakness fixing will never lead to success (or happiness). Thus, I would never recommend you spend time fixing your weaknesses.
On the other hand, just accepting your weaknesses and doing nothing about them is a little too passive (and dare I say, ignorant) as well.
So, how do you find that balance? How do you *not* let your weaknesses become a bottleneck in your business?
Having the right tools in your toolbox to help better manage and neutralize your weaknesses (so you can spend more time in your areas of strength) will empower you to do what you do best and find support where you need it.
how to deal with your weaknesses (the right way)
There are several things that you can do to better manage your weaknesses, which will free up more time to spend in your strengths. Here are three things to do today to tackle your weaknesses:
1. Know your weaknesses
The first step in dealing with your weaknesses is to know what your weaknesses are. This seems like common sense, but it can be a missed step. Having an awareness around what your weaknesses are will allow you to figure out how to best manage or neutralize them.
A weakness, to me, is anything that weakens you. This could be something you're not good at (or not skilled in) naturally, but it also could be something that you're really good at (often times a learned behavior). If you are really good at it and it drains your energy (you avoid it, it frustrates you, etc), then it's still a weakness for you.
Really take time to fully analyze areas of weakness for you (learned behaviors included).
2. Rate your weaknesses
Rate your weaknesses in the following categories to assign a priority:
- Must manage: Things that have (or could have) regular or long-lasting negative impact on your life and business.
- Should manage: Things that trouble you sometimes but may not have any long-term effect.
- Observe: Minor flaws that usually don't lead to problems. Make adjustments if necessary.
- Ignore: Things that really have no effect on your life or business and that are very minor.
3. Manage your weaknesses
Managing and neutralizing your weaknesses does not mean fixing them. I do not believe you will ever turn a weakness into a strength. (If you don't believe me, Gallup can provide you tons of research on this!)
Weaknesses that clearly need management should be addressed first. There are many different ways you can manage your weaknesses. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Use your strengths: Intentionally use your strengths to see where they may be able to support you in areas of weakness. This is often referred to as "turning up the volume" of your other strengths. For example, if you turn up the volume of your Activator talent theme to manage analysis paralysis you may be getting from focusing too much in strategic thinking and not taking any action. What strengths do you have that can help support your areas of weakness?
- Partner with people: Partner with people who have strengths in areas you are weak. This could be through outsourcing (an obvious choice, by sometimes isn't feasible), reaching out to members of a group program or mastermind program you're a part of, checking in with a business bestie who has different strengths than you do, hiring and working with a coach, etc.
- Create better structures, systems, and strategies: Creating better structures, systems, and strategies in your business can make your weaknesses "not as big of a deal". Better processes, for example, will help you be more efficient and spend more time in your strengths zone.
- Cut it out entirely: Determine if the activity of weakness is really, truly necessary to do. It potentially may not even directly impact your business and therefore can be cut out entirely.
- Watch for learned behaviors: Watch for those activities that you're really good at but that drain you. These learned behaviors are often not seen as obvious weaknesses but they really can make you exhausted if you're always working in them.
Managing your weaknesses can be a game changer for you in your business. Freeing up time to spend more time in your strengths zone and making adjustments so that you can stay in a positive mindset and be as productive as possible will allow you to more easily reach your goals and design a business you love.
Which strategy will you implement today?
Download printable planner pages from The Strong Business Planner™ to help you prevent your weaknesses from becoming a bottleneck:
The Stop Your Weaknesses printable planner pages are designed to help stop using your weaknesses, or to better manage or neutralize them.
support your strengths
The Support Your Strengths printable planner pages are designed to help you best support your strengths through delegation and outsourcing.