How many times in the last week were you able to work in your strengths zone?
That may feel like a loaded question! Let's break it down.
To figure out how often you're working in your strengths zone, let's go through an exercise.
1. List your activities. Think about the last week - what types of activities did you do? Write them down in a list. (Tip: It is helpful to write down your activities each day throughout the week so you don't forget!)
2. Evaluate your performance. On a scale of 1-10, evaluate your performance (how good you were at that activity, as perceived by you/others). [1 = Low performance, 10 = high performance]. For example, if you feel you performed that particular activity with excellence, give it a 9 or 10. If you feel you were not very good at that particular activity, rate it lower.
3. Evaluate your energy. Again, on a scale of 1-10, evaluate your energy (the degree to which this task energizes you/others). [1 = Low energy, 10 = high energy]. For example, if that particular activity made you bored, sucked all your energy, or you hated it, maybe you give it a 2. If it made you excited, you enjoyed it, and you felt energized, maybe you give it a 9.
4. Plot your activities. Plot your activities on the chart below. You may also get the Daily Strengths Zone workbook planner page here.
Your STRENGTHS ZONE lies in an activity you have both high performance AND high energy.
Your activities that may be good to develop more are located in the blue box in the chart. Your activities that are in your strengths zone are in the pink.
From here, you can ask yourself these questions:
1. How much time did I spend in my strengths zone?
2. Did you notice any trends?
3. When were you most frustrated or bored? How can I use my strengths to stop my frustration?
4. When were you most excited and energized?
5. Where did my energy/performance positively or negatively impact others?
6. What did I do today to become more engaged and in my strengths zone?
7. What could I do tomorrow to see better results?
Remember, your STRENGTHS ZONE lies in an activity you have both high performance AND high energy. How many times in the last week did you work in your strengths zone?
Download a printable Daily Strengths Zone planner page for only $2.99 from The Strong Business Planner™:
The Daily Strengths Zone printable planner pages are designed to help you identify when you are working in your strengths zone, strengths development zone, and strengths depletion zone.
Disclaimer: This activity was adapted from Strengths Strategy Strengths Effectiveness and Engagement (SEE) Self-Check Tool.